B'more Careful

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Why I Like Foreigners:

Back in college, the older, wiser friend who introduced me to the international set explained her social choice this way: they've at least learned one other language, so they must be smart.

Last night, I had a wonderful evening with the Potatoes (Mr. is Alaskan, so he's almost foreign.), The Flying Dutchman (he of the not calling; it was only momentarily awkward), and three new Indians (subcontinental). I can't think of names for them, since their very own are so melodic and interesting.

Anyway, we went bowling, and to dinner, and then a bar with matresses. It was trying to be chic, not ironically vulgar, but the way you got a matress was to buy a bottle of champagne, so in my opinion, they can have the most recessed lighting and cubist furniture in the world, but it's still a yuppie brothel. Not that I've anything against yuppie brothels.

You may be wondering if there were sparks between the Dutchman and I, and I'd have to say no, although I did insult him quite gratifyingly when he told me he planned to read Wuthering Heights, and I said wasn't that a bit gay, and he should only do so in private and not tell others. Then, one Indian overheard and lept in mock homophobic horror, which left the Dutchman quite discomfitted and pretending he wasn't. And he got several gutter balls. I must confess my malice and do penance. It's beneath me, really...

5 Comments:

  • that's a funny story, unlike wuthering heights, which isn't funny at all. He should have lied and told you that he was reading Watership Down. Or Ivanhoe. Either of those books is infinitely superior to Wuthering Heights.

    By Blogger Dr Chompers, Ph.D, at 7:15 PM  

  • I've never heard Ivanhoe praised before...

    By Blogger Jean Luc Petard, at 7:22 PM  

  • It has everything that a book should have: a lovely Jewess, chivalry, grumpy Saxons, angry Frenchmen, drunk friars and Robin Hood. And the good guys win which always nice.

    That isn't to say that I only like books with happy endings. As Dr Y will atest to, I am always quite disturbed about how the good guy always dies in Cormac McCarthy books. It's very sad. Not as sad as when George gives Lenny two in the cap, but still sad.

    By Blogger Dr Chompers, Ph.D, at 7:46 PM  

  • Oh, and all those books have better spelling and grammar than anything I post here.

    By Blogger Dr Chompers, Ph.D, at 7:47 PM  

  • I am suspicious of Niels. He didn't say he read it, did he? But that he was planning to read it. I bet he got the idea to say that from a '10 tips to impress chicks' feature in Men's Health whilst on the can.

    By Blogger Dr Yakalumpf, PhD, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home