B'more Careful

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I just finished Maugham's Of Human Bondage. False advertising, let me tell you. It was, however, a MOST INTERESTING novel, and I want more than anything to have a good talk about it. But I've asked nearly everyone I know, and no one's read Maugham. Until I asked my superior International Playgirl, who has a writer for a husband, I couldn't even pronounce his name correctly. (It's pronounced "Mawm" apparently.) In desperation, I actually read Gore Vidal's foreward wherein he revealed a.) Maugham was gay and b.) Vidal himself is an ass.

No one can say to me anymore, "But Jean Luc, you think everyone is gay," until everyone stops turning up gay.

Love that dare not speak its name (LTDNSIN) aside, it was a wonderful book, and I have no clue why! Why have a foreward if not to explain what I should think? I'm going to Wikipedia.

5 Comments:

  • I've read 'Of Human Bondage'! I liked it a lot. I though the main character's relationship with, erm, the floozy made much more sense once one knows that it is likely publishable code for one of Maugham's homosexual relationships. yes? no?

    By Blogger Dr Yakalumpf, PhD, at 6:22 AM  

  • Also you should check out his (Maugham's) short stories.

    By Blogger Dr Yakalumpf, PhD, at 6:23 AM  

  • I am particularly fond of 'The Outstation.' I just found a copy online. Recommended.

    By Blogger Dr Yakalumpf, PhD, at 3:50 PM  

  • Yes, I see how it makes more sense now. The shame, the irresistability. Mostly I liked how Phillip goes through all the existential growth periods that I went through (S. Pratt being my Heidelberg, I suppose.)

    By Blogger Jean Luc Petard, at 7:38 PM  

  • jlp- don't give away the plot! I haven't read it and Dr Y has promised to loan me the book... but if I already know all about Phillip's existential growth... well that's no fun :)

    Dr C

    By Blogger Dr Chompers, Ph.D, at 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home