B'more Careful

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Things have been moving right along here in the chilly, outer reaches of the Petard-i-verse. Friday night, I made my way to Bethesda to visit dear Robin in his natural habitat. Saturday night, it was Wii rabbit craziness with SwD, A, the Birds, and Atlas. And today...I nearly finished In Cold Blood, which is heralded (by its own jacket, to be fair) as "yielding poignant insights into the nature of American violence."

I suppose I am bad at harvesting the yield of modern American classics, because thus far the book has only yielded me:
  • A slightly improved understanding about how a man could make money from writing bad checks.
  • The skeevy idea that Perry Smith, one of the murderers, must have been the spitting image of the Okie.
  • A desperate desire to be excused from finishing the book; maybe a "time off for good behavior" kind of deal.

As for the nature of American violence, I have no deeper insights than when I began. Specifically that it is American and...violent.

1 Comments:

  • Thank you for undercutting my desire to read In Cold Blood after I went through the shame of checking it out from the "recommended high school reading" section of the library, involving numerous mean-eyed stares from librarians believing me to be a sketchy dude checking out not classic literature but 15-year-old girls instead. Only half true, biddies.

    And I may have made time with a fair number of losers, but never someone who resembled a murder suspect in a well-known case. I am beginning to think that I am the greatest draft pick your selection process has ever yielded, and I may want to renegotiate my contract for a higher signing bonus and more perks as a result.

    By Blogger paperback reader, at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home