B'more Careful

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Being an international playgirl, I have very few shortcoming, but the one I do have is a doozy:

I do not handle disappointment well.

Like when I was in the 7th grade and I wanted a hamster for Christmas so very, very bad, and then it wasn't under the tree, and then it wasn't wrapped in a box. I held out hope until mid afternoon when my father went out to get something from the car. 'My hamster!' I thought, and then he came back with kerosene or something, and my pubescent heart was crushed against the rocky shoals of bitter disappointment.

Yes, a 12 year old should not have her heart set on a hamster. It's weird. But still!

And every time I face disappointment as an adult, I feel it as a personal affront, like God is spitting in the wind directly in front of me ON PURPOSE, and that one day -if I am good enough and work hard and quit being so gossipy- I will never be disappointed again.

Which is unlikely. I will be disappointed over and over, sometimes because I want the wrong things, sometimes because I didn't earn it, and sometimes because the wind is just blowing the wrong way.

It is an imperfect world, and someone should fix it.

3 Comments:

  • Isn't that an Ancient Chinese Curse or something, you know, 'May you get everything that you want.'

    By Blogger Dr Yakalumpf, PhD, at 9:29 AM  

  • It's not much to go by, but here is a little bit of the story.

    I think it's a good thing, to not accept disapointment too easily, otherwise one could end up in a bad place where "if it wasn't for disapointment, I wouldn't have any appointments."

    Bonus points for naming the song and the band.

    By Blogger c1150, at 11:05 AM  

  • All those who have seen TMBG in concert with their moms will correctly identify that lyric.

    By Blogger Dr Yakalumpf, PhD, at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home